Sunday 24 November 2013

NURBS Project_ Ends

“There is an end to everything, to good things as well.”
- Geoffrey Chaucer

Ambient Occlusion Pass

The NURBS Project demanded a lot of patience but it would be dishonest to say that I did not enjoy the process. I have always enjoyed background modelling more than character modelling. At first, some parts of the scene seemed more appropriate for Polygon Modelling but it came as a challenge to complete them in NURBS.

As the scene required so many NURBS surfaces, it was becoming quite difficult to even rotate about the perspective window to check how it looked from different angles. Then,came the problem of making the foliage on an already heavy scene. Nonetheless, I thought that it added to the beauty of the scene selected, so I started making them. My Maya software stopped responding thrice!

Topology

The first time it stopped, I had not saved the other surfaces that I had made just before the first portion of foliage. I had to remodel them again. Carefully saving them this time, I made a second attempt at making the grass. Then,after the third time,I thought of submitting the project without them. However, I thought why not use paint effects and convert them to NURBS. This did not hinder the mobility of the scene and helped retain the beauty of the scene too. However, to show that NURBS grass can be made, I made a very small portion and hid it in the scene in a layer.

With Physical Sky and Sun

As lighting was not an essential component of this project(and I had to get on with my Polygon Project), I simply used the Physical Sky and Sun Node in the Indirect Lighting of the Mental Ray Menu.

Video file at:

No comments:

Post a Comment